Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Thrifty shopping in Hitchin

I love reading other blogs about the wonderful things that can be found in charity shops and a recent purchase of the book 'Homemade Gifts Vintage Style' by Sarah Morris inspired me to go treasure hunting. 

craftypainter: charity shopping
I've always known Hitchin as a town somewhere along the train line on the way to London. Turns out it's also lovely market town full of independent shops and 11 charity shops all within 10 mins walk!!

I didn't really know what I was looking for at first but of course quickly found I was drawn to the craft areas, I was also on the look out for tea cups and saucers for a tea themed craft swap that I organised for Cam City WI. 

All of the shops I visited boasted the usual clothes and books but some had more crockery or records and some had crafty corners dedicated to buttons, zips, wool and sewing and knitting patterns.

craftypainter: charity shopping
All of the charity shops are within a short walk, I toured them all in one afternoon:
  • Sue Ryder
  • Garden House Hospice
  • British Heart Foundation
  • Cancer Research UK
  • Keech Hospice
  • RSPCA
  • Save the Children
  • Oxfam
  • Age UK
  • Salvation Army
  • YMCA
craftypainter: charity shopping
I loved looking through the retro dress patterns but sadly couldn't find any in a suitable size. Of course I found some buttons!!

craftypainter: charity shopping, buttons
As well as the charity shops Hitchin boasts an excellent market with a fine selection of stalls including, plants, fabric and jewellery supplies not forgetting the usual market stalls. On Fridays, the general market is joined by antiques and bric-a-brac, perfect for more button hunting.  

craftypainter: Hitchin market
I bought this whole bowl of buttons for £3.50  although when I got home I found more than just buttons (not in a good way!) 

craftypainter: charity shopping
Fortunately I'm not squeamish about such things because other than the buttons I found a spirograph cog, a mouldy vitamin tablet and a generous sprinkling of small rodent poo (lucky lucky me!)

After sorting them out I'm pleased that there are some very pretty buttons amongst the stash. Also from the market I bought some tea cups and saucers, perfect for a tea cup pincushion for my craft swap!

craftypainter: teacup pincushion
What do you look for when charity shopping? I'd love to hear your tips!



2 comments:

  1. eeek I suppose that there has to some draw backs to bargains!!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts