Friday, 18 January 2013

Cam City WI and the Cambridge University Botanic Gardens crochet project

Back in July last year I heard about a new WI group starting in Cambridge and I nervously went along to the first open meeting. There was an amazing turn out and the ladies involved in organising it all were overwhelmed by the 50+ people who attended. A second open meeting took place in September (with over 100 attendees) and I couldn't help volunteering to join the organising committee. A few weeks later the position of looking after the group blog became available and I was really happy to take it on.

Cambridge was clearly desperate for a new WI group and the open meetings were so popular that the number of members had to be limited to 150. Joining Cam City WI was an excellent decision, in just four months we've had talks on local archaeology and the perception of beauty, we've enjoyed live jazz and tea tasting as well as learning new crafts. With such a big group I haven't got to know everyone just yet but I have met lots of lovely new people so far.

On Saturday I joined 24 members of Cam City WI who are taking part in a 10 month project to create a crochet display for Cambridge University Botanic Gardens as part of the 2013 Festival of Ideas. You can read all about how we got on at our first session on the Cam City WI blog and check out some of our crocheted leaves.

craftypainter: crocheted leaves


4 comments:

  1. Those crochet leaves are lovely. I wish I could have joined the Botanic Garden project, but I work too many Saturdays.

    I look forward to following your progress on the blog though! See you at the next meeting. Sophie x


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll still get to join in as we'll be crocheting a lichen mat for part of the display at the meeting in March. See you next time! x

      Delete
  2. It is all so exciting isn't it? Your photo of the leaves is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, there's so much going on already! And thank you for contributing your leaves to the photo. x

      Delete

Popular Posts