Sunday, 16 December 2012

Crafting with Ro

Some weeks ago now, I spent a Saturday afternoon with my friend Ro. Usually this means an exhausting day of shopping but this time we decided on a quieter afternoon of crafting and tea drinking. First of Ro gave me a needle-felted owl decoration made in my favourite colours. 


I hadn't even heard of needle felting until I discovered the wonderful blog of Mrs Plop. I love trying new crafts and like to work out how things are made so that I can have a go myself, but I had no idea how needle-felting worked. Ro gave me a quick demo with the most vicious looking needle I have ever seen (a slightly serrated triple pronged scary thing) and then I had a go myself.

You start with a piece of felting fleece and roll it into a very basic shape, you then stab it repeatedly with the scary needle which binds the fibres together. Somehow I managed not to injure myself and I made this cute robin. Not quite in the same league as Mrs Plop, but I'm pretty pleased with my first attempt.
Ro was on a mission to use up fabric scraps from her stash and set to work making a quilt while I drank lots of tea and admired the handy work. By the end of the afternoon Ro was well on the way to having completed three squares and by the time I got home she had finished nine!
I'm in the processes of saving up pieces of my favourite fabrics from my stash to make my first ever quilt and I really love the design that Ro chose as it's a great way to use up thin strips of fabric and the colours are wonderful!

Here is Ro's finished quilt!

Have you discovered any new crafts recently?

6 comments:

  1. Awww Michaela, bless you! Thank you for the mention and your lovely words. Wooo I'm famous lol. I love your ickle robin :) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs, how you make those gorgeous puppies, I don't know, amazing detail and cuteness. x

      Delete
  2. by the way, how on earth you do that amazing quilting is beyond me. Awesomeness! :) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous isn't it, Ro is very talented and all put together without a pattern!

      Delete
  3. Yay! The needle felted robin is just lovely. Well done on the first attempt.

    The quilt is great. Next year I am going to make a quilt. Maybe we should have some quilty afternoons. I plan on using Georgina Giles' tutorial.

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire, I would love some quilty afternoons. Will have to plan for the new year when things are a bit less mad. xxx

      Delete

Popular Posts