Sunday, 18 November 2012

DIY Upcycled Coasters

I've wanted to do a proper craft DIY for ages and have one in the pipeline for a rug made from recycled t-shirts (it's taking months to make though so no DIY post just yet!)

craftypainter: Up-cycled coasters
This one uses the same technique as the t-shirt rug but takes a fraction on the time, although we are still talking a few hours for a full set of coasters.

You will need old cotton shirts or something similar (I used pijama bottoms!)
Scissors
Tape measure
Needle and thread
Safety pin
Lots of pins
Sewing machine

Start by cutting the material in to strips approximately 3cm wide. Take three strips of different lengths and join them together at one end with a few tacking stitches, these don't have to be perfect as they wont show later on.
craftypainter: DIY upcycled coasters
Begin braiding the three strips and once you reach an end it's time to join the next strip, by using different lengths at the start you can stagger the joins, otherwise you may end up with a bulky section.  Joining the strips is super easy but tricky to explain. Here goes....

Cut a small slit in to the ends of the strips to be joined. I'll call them A and B (where B is the new strip that need to be added). Thread the cut end of strip B through the slit in A, then bring the tale of B through the slit in B and pull all the way through. Gently work both strips until they are neatly secured together.

craftypainter: DIY upcycled coasters

Carry on braiding (and adding new strips when needed) until you have approximately 120cm of braid with a couple of centimetres spare. Secure the end of the braid with the safety pin for now.

On a flat surface begin to coil the braid around making sure to tuck the starting end underneith. Use plenty of pins to hold everything in place and stop with about 10cm of braid to coil.

craftypainter: DIY upcycled coasters
Carefully un-do the last section of braid and taking one of the ends, flaten out the material and pin in on the bottom. With the remaining two strips twist them together and pin into place to finish off the coil.
craftypainter: DIY upcycled coasters
For the back of the coaster, cut a circle of fabric with 0.5cm allowance. Cut small slits 2cm apart all the way around the edge. Pin the slited circle to the back of the coaster tucking in the edges all the way round.

craftypainter: DIY upcycled coasters
Using a zigzag stitch on the sewing machine stitch from the centre in a spiral along the edges of the braid in order to join them together. I find this bit really tricky as it can be hard to see where to stitch, just take it slowly especially at the start.
craftypainter: DIY upcycled coasters
Finally add a straight stitch around the edge of the backing fabric to neaten it off! Then just make a few more and give them away as house-warming or Christmas presents (or keep them for yourself!)

I hope all of that makes sense but if there are any questions please let me know.

Now pop on over to Handmade Monday and check out the other lovely blogs!!

25 comments:

  1. They look really nice, though I'm not sure my sewing machine would cope with that thickness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's not too thick but a less sturdy sewing machine might struggle.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial, I've made small ones of these for brooches but the way you have done the joins is new to me so thanks for sharing.

    Jan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great idea, thanks for the tip! :)

      Delete
  3. They look great, and I'm sure they would make nice little gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, perfect for a house-warming I think :)

      Delete
  4. These look really great. Thanks for sharing the tutorial - I was able to follow it so it must be clear! I may be giving this a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, I'm glad it make sense. I look forward to seeing the results! :)

      Delete
  5. I once made a huge version of this kind of thing as a rug, although I hand-stitched. I like the idea of coasters - much more manageable than a rug! I quite like the addition of machine stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that must have been such hard work. I am working on a rug version at the moment but it is taking a long time, I did try hand-stitching at first but found the machine is so much quicker once you get started.

      Delete
  6. They look really pretty - I've never tried to sew anything that thick on my machine, but you explained it so well I might give it a try (one day, when I get a free afternoon!) Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and hope it goes well if you do decide to give it a go :)

      Delete
  7. Great tutorial. The coasters are a lovely idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look lovely- the colours are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll be trying brighter colours next time :)

      Delete
  9. This is a great idea, will have to attempt these at some point! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, just make sure you give yourself plenty of time. Hope it goes well! :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the tutorial. I have loads of old T-shirts that would be perfect for this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! T-shirt fabric can be a little trickier to work with because it's so stretchy, just make sure you pin like mad to hold everything in place before stitching :)

      Delete
  11. What a great way to use up fabric. I have never tried this, but keep saying one day I will make a rug. So thanks for the tutorial.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do have a go, it's very satisfying. And I hadn't thought of trying it out on scraps, great idea!!

      Delete

Popular Posts