Thursday, 23 August 2012

Driftwood Mobile

So I decided that the driftwood from my Crafty Creatives Box 2 would be perfect for making a mobile, here's how I got on.
craftypainter: Crafty Creatives - Driftwood
As well as the driftwood I wanted to incorporate some of the other bits from the box and knew that the boat wheel pendant would make a brilliant central piece, I also used the fish beads and starfish charms as well as lots of the gold glass pearl beads.

craftypainter: Crafty Creatives - #CCbox2 Contents
In addition to the ingredients from the box I added shells from my collection (I always come back from the beach weighed down with pockets full of shells and pebbles) and some turquoise and silver beads from a necklace.
craftypainter: Shells
I used my tiny screw driver for my glasses to 'drill' three holes into each piece of wood and then got stringing.

craftypainter: Crafty Creatives - Driftwood

I had planned to use the paper string from the box too but found that it didn't work so well so as it wasn't quite dainty enough for the delicate pieces that I was hanging so I switched to gold thread instead which was perfect.

craftypainter: Crafty Creatives - Driftwood Mobile

Each set of beads is held in position by threading through the bottom bead a second time so they stay in place but can be adjusted. The beads at the very ends are knotted on with the ends threaded inside.I love the cheeky face on the yellow fish bead!

craftypainter: Crafty Creatives - Driftwood Mobile
I'm so happy with the finished mobile and I love that I was able to incorporate so many elements from the box in to one piece, plus I still have two of the starfish charms left for that bracelet.

craftypainter: Crafty Creatives - Driftwood Mobile
I'll definitely be looking out for driftwood on my next beach trip!! What did you make with yours?

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful :) I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was lovely to make except I keep changing my mind about how to do it!

      Delete

Popular Posts