Saturday, 14 January 2012

Stitch!

For Christmas I was given two of Cath Kidston’s project books (thank you Dan!). Sew! I had heard of and was keen to get my hands on. However, I’d not heard of Stitch! and after a close inspection of the projects I couldn’t wait to get stuck in. Although initially the idea of cross-stitch didn't grab me (I basically didn’t think it was very cool) I was desperate to make something and the materials needed for a cross stitch cushion cover were easy to get hold of. Many many many hours later and here is the final piece. I'll be turning this into a cushion if I don't get distracted by the gorgeous project for making a wool rug. I love my crafty projects (here is my owl doorstop that I made for my very good friend Ro) but these have always remained separate from my painting. I'm now considering how I could combine stitching in to my painting practice and think some of my paintings of flowers would lend themselves quite nicely to being stitched in to. It'll take some practise though, it would be a shame to ruin 20 hours of work by making needle holes in it. Looks like I may have found a use for all the scraps of canvas that I don't know what to do with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts